FTR has moved to fairytailrevolution.jcink.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Meeting with the Darkness

2 posters

Go down

A Meeting with the Darkness Empty A Meeting with the Darkness

Post by Zahn Skye Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:29 am

It's... been a long time. I haven't been back here in months. Not since...

Zahn's thoughts trailed off. He really didn't need to be reminded on depressing things right now. After all, it was his first time back to the town of his birth in a while. He'd been on the road, doing mercenary work and meeting new people. The life of a mercenary kept him pretty busy, to say the least, and while not always rewarding in the monetary sense it was always fun and exciting. Though "fun" was a matter of perspective. Running for you life while being pursued by the Council's Seekers would probably not qualify as fun for most people.

Still, I suppose it could always be worse.

Zahn sighed, mostly to himself. He had been wandering around the city all day, looking for a place to catch a quick nap. Hopefully he'd be able to find somewhere to eat as well. Still, he was keeping himself busy by losing himself in his thoughts. Every so often he'd come out of his head to take in his surroundings, then go right back to thinking.

I guess when you're a Guildless mage, like me, you probably do find some enjoyment in evading capture by the Council. Maybe by showing them how powerful we Guildless are they might want to leave us alone. After all, if they don't hunt us down in their spare time maybe we'd be more willing to lend them a hand when they have a problem they can't handle themselves and don't want to use the Guilds for. There are more Guildless than registered mages, after all...

Zahn held his cloak iunder his arm. While he wasn't likely to be recognized, even here in his home town, he did feel a little naked without his cloak draped over his clothes. He liked the weight, as he'd gotten used to it over time, and felt safer with the cloak's hood obscuring his face and hiding his eye-patch. Still he supposed traveling this way allowed him to avoid suspicion. However, he'd learned that not having a Guild Mark visible for everyone to see gave most enough a reason to be curious.

The people of this city have become arrogant and lazy. They believe they are entitled to something just because the Council protects them, and they take pride in the fact that their glorious Magic Council "ended the worst war ever" with swiftness and few casualties to civilians... Of course, the Council has moved since then but...

He strolled down the street lost in his thoughts. People tended not to accost him, a fact he appreciated, but he had to wonder whether it was because they were suspicious or if they really just didn't care that an overdressed stranger was walking down the street without seeming to have a care in the world. Still, he never knew who or what he'd run into so the young Jinx mage keep an eye out for other interesting people or people giving off a strong magical aura...
Zahn Skye
Zahn Skye
Lamia Scale C
Lamia Scale C

Experience : 110
Primary Magic : Jinx Magic
Secondary Magic : N/A

https://www.youtube.com/ImagineIfYouWillShow

Back to top Go down

A Meeting with the Darkness Empty Re: A Meeting with the Darkness

Post by Fayte Scarlett Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:41 pm

Era had become so decrepit after the Magic Council abandoned it, the town was practically a joke. Crime of all sorts skyrocketed in Era, some of it spurned on by the supposedly loyal Council followers and their witch hunts. Fayte loved this town, and at the same time hated it. There was much broken beauty here, the remnants of the war still marring the town and its citizens. But Fayte wasn't here to sightsee. She was on a mission.

Ra Zephyr had a talent. A talent of escaping. The man had been in plenty of life or death situations, impossibly hopeless scenarios, and somehow always managed to escape. Not necessarily victorious, but putting the man's life to end was a difficult task. The guildless mage had stuck himself in one too many precarious scenarios, learning too much of dark guilds, including Shadow Heart. The man was hard to track, but eventually Fayte's search lead her to Era, and to a particular favorite hangout of his. She ambushed Ra Zephyr and his card-playing companions. But regrettably, as Fayte finished off his friends, Zephyr had grabbed a cloak and fled into the more populated region of Era. He escaped with but a minor gash on his left arm.

Fayte scrambled to higher ground, emerging on the rooftop to look for her lost target. From there, she saw a cloaked man strolling down the streets. Probably trying to act less suspicious, but his slow gait touched Fayte's nerves. The man had abandoned his friends to die, and now thought he was safe in town. Fayte's wings faded, as her appearance returned to that of a normal human. She half climbed, half jumped from building to building, following him from above. Her takeover form was that of a bird, and as such she was more comfortable in higher places; a place she could watch and see everything. But always her focus was on the cloaked one. Perhaps he had not expected his friends to die in single blows, and so was taking his time to his destination.

Fayte waited for the right time; waited as he seemed to wander without cause, until her target reached a less populated area of town. Unfortunately for her, she had yet to realize she'd been tailing the wrong man... for it was Zahn, and not Ra Zephyr. She moved ahead of him, half climbing, and half jumping down to a nearby alleyway. Patiently she waited for him to cross... before Fayte lunged. She grabbed the cloak, pulling him into the alley with her. Victory belonged to those who struck first. White light surrounded her form, black wings morphing upon her back, her hands becoming like crooked claws. Magical energy pulsed in her wings, she swung them with a great woosh, a gust of magical energy aimed straight at her foe. She would try to finish it quickly and avoid a scene if possible, but if not... eliminating the target still came first.

Magic 190/200:
Fayte Scarlett
Fayte Scarlett
Shadow Heart C
Shadow Heart C

Experience : 218
Primary Magic : Takeover: Harpy Soul

Back to top Go down

Post by Zahn Skye Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:38 pm

"What the fu-"

Zahn's curse was cut short as a winged figure dragged him into an alley and shoved him across the ground, following the surprise attack up by a blast of magic that seemed to come from her wings. He'd noticed the magical aura she gave off when she'd been hovering above. Didn't think much of it at the time, as it had appeared not to be hostile. However, her swiftness in her attack had been amazing. He hadn't had time to react. However, her initial attack had knocked his eye-patch off and he could clearly see the attack headed for him now.

"Jinxed!"

Jinxed Attack:

He focused his energy on the attack, and called out his magic. Unfortunately, he hadn't had time to react properly so he'd slipped up big-time. His magic was supposed to be subtle. As the wind hit his spell, it split in two, scorching the ground and carving out two marks into the back-alley street.

Shit... well, no time to dawdle!

Zahn charged the woman, throwing off his cloak right in front the woman in order to obscure her vision and leaped back, putting some distance between him and her. Suddenly he got a good glimpse at the woman.

"Alright, who are you, and what the hell is your problem!?"

His gaze was focused solely on her, ready to use his magic once more if she made another aggressive move. Her attire was strange and her magic was fascinating. The precision of her attack though... She was dark mage. No one else he'd encountered on his travels where as cutthroat as the Dark Mages. Their attacks were always aimed to end a fight quickly. However, he'd never been one to cause trouble for a Dark Guild. Most of the time he just stayed out of people's ways. If a Dark Mage did attack him, they were usually the instigators... He had been cloaked though, so she wouldn't know who he was. So... why was she targeting him? Or had he been mistaken for someone else. He narrowed his eyes, waiting for her to make a move. While he had blurted out his attack earlier he wasn't going to make a mistake like that again any time soon. He'd wait to see how the girl responded.

Wonderful... just perfect. A Dark Mage. Sometimes I can see why the Council thinks they are doing the right thing... though how they go about it is another matter entirely.

MP: 140/150
Zahn Skye
Zahn Skye
Lamia Scale C
Lamia Scale C

Back to top Go down

Post by Fayte Scarlett Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:34 am

Fayte's attack was foiled. Ra Zephyr, living up to his name, seemed to use some kind of wind to dispell Fayte's own wind-based attack. The earth was torn asunder from the maligned blasts alone. Before the two collisions had stopped, the man had thrown the cloak at her. Fayte's sharp talons swiped the cloak, tearing it in half, as the now broken garment fell behind her from the momentum. She expected one of two things - either an immediate follow-up attack of her target, or that her target was going to run again. As soon as the cloak fell, revealing more distance that her foe had taken, Fayte took a step forward. Only to get a proper look at her 'target'.

Her eyes widened slightly at the realization, just for a second, but there was no visible emotion on her face past that. This was not her target. Their height and build was similar, but this man looked nothing like Ra Zephyr. How long had she been following the wrong man? Perhaps Zephyr had given the cloak to a stranger, and then continued to flee. At the very least, Fayte was certain she had been tailing the wrong man for quite a while now. The wrong man was confused by her attack. He was loud, yelling questions about her and her motives.

Rather than answering, Fayte's forward step instead shifted back. Causing a scene to kill an intended target was one thing. But this wrong man, she had no reason to kill him, and sticking around would only bring the authorities quicker. There was no apology nor explanation for the attack she'd just unleashed. Fayte abruptly turned her back on the man, and ran. A green sheen of wind covered her skin, giving her lighter steps and the ability to move faster. First, she needed to lose this man, assuming he even bothered to try and follow her. She dashed towards the deeper end of the alley, planning to run all about the lesser-traveled paths. Regrettably her takeover form was required for magic, and she couldn't be caught running around Era in such a form. It would bring too many questions. She had not made such a novice mistake in quite some time; she was ashamed... and frustrated, mainly at herself. She should have gotten a better look at her target before attacking... and now she had just invited unnecessary trouble.

MP 175/200:
Fayte Scarlett
Fayte Scarlett
Shadow Heart C
Shadow Heart C

Back to top Go down

Post by Zahn Skye Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:25 am

Zahn might not be the most powerful combatant in the world, nor have supremely awesome magical powers. However, his eyes were very keen and he was pretty intelligent. So, he noticed almost immediately that the woman had been mistaken in her attack on him. Her eyes widening was not something that went undetected, and with it a small smirk passed over Zahn's face.

Ah, I see... So, I appeared to be someone else. Guess the person she's chasing must've been cloaked as well.

Then the woman did something not entirely unexpected. She turned and ran. Clearly, her real target was on the move. Zahn dashed after the woman, silently vowing to himself that he would make her apologize to him for the attack... and his destroyed cloak?

Craaaaap... For some reason I wasn't expecting her to be ready for an underhanded trick like throwing your clothes at an opponent. She really must be a dark mage. She didn't even flinch when I did that... and now...

Zahn gave up the chase a short moment after, realizing he couldn't keep up with her. More than likely, she'd probably destroy him in one-on-one combat as well. Her speed was deadly, and that magic... Takeover? He'd never seen anything like her brand of the most-well known of the transformation magics though. The green glow he'd noticed, however, suggested that her magic was more than just a simple Takeover. Still, despite him not being much of a match for her magic skills, combat prowess or height... he could still get her back for the misdirected maliciousness a few moments ago.

"Hey, you'd better come back! At least give me an explanation for your attempt to strip me! You owe me at least that much, Dark Mage girl!"

Whoever the girl was, she'd most likely heard the young Jinx mage's comment and if she wasn't already ashamed and annoyed she would most certainly be now. Zahn smirked to himself as he collected his eye-patch and refastened it. If her sole focus was her target, there was a possibility that she could've mistaken his magic for something else. He was hoping this was the case as he deliberately worded his previous comment to be slightly annoying and embarrassing to anyone who heard it, and especially annoying and embarrassing to the person it was directed toward. Sure, he was just teasing her and didn't mean any harm by it but after almost being killed he felt he had some right to make the Dark Mage regret it.

Well, if that comment didn't catch her attention I don't know what will. I suppose I'll just wait to see if she shows up later to kill me for making such a crass comment. Heh. That'll be fun...

Zahn wasn't looking forward to any more trouble, to be completely honest. He only shouted because he'd been surprised and angry, but now that he was in a position to cool down he took a few deep breaths and tried to relax.

I'll save getting really worked up for when she gets back and only if she wants to kill me. If I'm right though, she probably didn't want anyone else's attention while tracking whoever she was really after. Her aura though... what power. If she does decide to kill me, I'd really be better off running...

Zahn looked around for materials he could make into a makeshift back-rest.

"... but that's not really my style."

The Jinx mage gathered up the remnants of his cloak, hoping he could eventually find someone to magically repair it, and used the pieces along with various other items to construct something he could lay against without getting dirty. He propped himself up, and closed his eyes. Losing himself in thought, he waited for the girl to come back, believing she'd be irritated enough and honor the unspoken pact she'd formed with him to meet once more after destroying his cloak.
Zahn Skye
Zahn Skye
Lamia Scale C
Lamia Scale C

Back to top Go down

Post by Fayte Scarlett Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:27 pm

The chase was a short-lived one. Fayte's natural speed, enhanced with her magic powers, practically made her a blur. Although her opponent attempted to follow, the difference between them was pretty clear. As the gap between them grew, Fayte heard her accidental opponent call out a parting insult. ...He'd immediately assumed she was a dark mage, which was a bit troublesome. But nothing could be done about it now. All she could hope for was that the man wouldn't report her description to the magic council... If she had been in full takeover form it would have been less an issue, but such was not the case...

Fayte left Zahn. As soon as she was a fair distance away, the Haste spell around her dissipated. Her partial takeover form faded into her regular human self. She returned to the more populated area of Era, melding in silently like the other citizens. The next few hours, she spent trying to track the trail of Ra Zephyr. But infuriatingly enough, the man's trail had gone completely cold. Escaping was his speciality, and Fayte was mildly... annoyed... that she had given him an opportunity to use his tactics. She could only hope that her accidental target wouldn't cause more trouble in her current mission.

The sun was setting, yet still, Fayte was no closer to achieving her goal. Most of the townsfolk had gone home, or were on their way home. Somehow, perhaps by pure coincidence, Fayte had wound up back where she originally jumped the wrong man. ...And there, she could see the very same man. He was propped up, and she couldn't tell if he was sleeping or not. Had he been there the entire time? Curiously, her steps moved her closer to him. She knew it was a bad idea, but she couldn't fathom what he was doing here. She stopped next to him silently, as if to say 'here I am', wondering if he indeed had been here waiting for her. Her takeover form was still tucked away, and her body was not in a particularly hostile position, although she was ready to react if he made any sudden movements.

"...What are you doing?" She finally spoke her first words to him. Her flat voice, however, made it seem like she didn't really care his answer one way or the other. But she was curious. There was no reason to look for a fight against her. Defense was a perfectly normal reaction. Perhaps he was waiting here for revenge...
Fayte Scarlett
Fayte Scarlett
Shadow Heart C
Shadow Heart C

Back to top Go down

Post by Zahn Skye Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:50 pm

Zahn smiled mostly to himself as he heard footsteps, light as feather and graceful as a cat. The girl was trying to be silent. However, he was not remotely close to being asleep, nor was she as quiet as she thought. When she stopped next to him his sardonic grin grew a little wider.

"Welcome back. Did the hunt go well?"

Well, if she wasn't confused before, she'd probably be now. He yawned and slowly stood up, holding up his hands to let her know he wasn't a threat. She seemed slightly annoyed by her own return. He guessed she hadn't planned to come back. Which was slightly annoying to him as well, though nothing too serious. In the hours she'd been gone he'd essentially forgiven her for the attack. As he came to his full height, which was unfortunately much shorter than her, he dusted himself off and looked at her, bemused by her question.

"Oh? Curious little Dark Mage, aren't you? I was waiting for you to return. Though I suppose I have to admit I'm surprised you did. I thought my comment would be enough to draw you back, but apparently I missed the mark. Sorry for that by the way. I was a tad angry you attacked me, though I'm over that now. I would appreciate an apology for my poor cloak, though..."

Zahn was on a roll. He didn't usually talk this much to other people, but he could handle someone as wary as her. His laid-back demeanor and attitude gave him the peace of mind he needed to interact with someone like himself.

"And before you kill me, I'd like to point out I'm not going to fight you. Nor do I feel like reporting anything to anyone. I'm a Guildless mage, so I have enough trouble with that stupid Council and their dumb law already. Honestly though, you shouldn't go around with that cutthroat attitude. If someone survives your first attack they'd immediately know that you are a Dark Mage by your combat prowess and go-for-jugular attack method."

The young Jinx mage didn't know if the girl would find him casually spouting off such insights creepy, awkward or just plain crazy and frankly he didn't much care. He was having fun talking to her, even if at this point it was a fairly one-sided conversation.

"... so, to actually answer your question proper. Yes, as you probably already guessed, I was waiting here for you to come back. I suppose it did take longer than I expected, and while you might put on a show of being disinterested... you definitely wanted to know, didn't you? After all, why bother asking otherwise? I know that's how I am too... but really I think I'm pretty easy to read."

She must have thought he was insane at this point. Probably a bit annoying too. However, he wasn't doing this to be rude and if she was paying any attention at all she'd notice that he'd had a warm, gentle smile on his face the entire time he had been talking to her. He was just teasing her to make conversation. Which might annoy her even more. Apparently, lots of people could handle flat-out rudeness and aggression far better than sass and Zahn had a hard time expressing himself "correctly".
Zahn Skye
Zahn Skye
Lamia Scale C
Lamia Scale C

Back to top Go down

Post by Fayte Scarlett Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:21 am

Fayte stared blankly while the man continued to ramble. Some things she understood, some she did not. Apparently he had inferred much from their brief encounter. More surprisingly, he was right about quite a few things. Fayte crossed her arms, eyes drifting to nothing in particular. The man was not a threat. He had even answered her unspoken question, when she wondered about how he knew she was a dark mage. That was quite an assumption, just based on a single attack. He was right in this case, but Fayte wondered if he jumped to such conclusions easily.

Next he assured her that he was a guildless mage, and therefore wouldn't be reporting her to the Magic Council. ...Considering that he was still here, without a host of Magic Council guards about him, Fayte was inclined to believe his words. If he was going to report her, he would have already done so. Well, she supposed he could have, and then come back here... but Fayte felt like that was unlikely. "Dark Mages... are not the only ones to attack with the intention of killing..." She answered, neither confirming nor denying his accusation. She was part of Shadow Heart... she wouldn't deny her alignment if he insisted... But there was no reason to proclaim herself. Fayte had met plenty of people, guildless and Magic Council, who struck with the intention to kill. It was the perquisite of any true fighter. Wars weren't won by sparring the opponent's life. Although Zahn had called Fayte strong, she didn't take his opinion seriously. If she was strong, he would be dead. It was that simple. He probably knew it too. Flattery wasn't going to get him anywhere.

"I... wanted to know...?" Fayte repeated, too quietly for it to be directed at Zahn. It wasn't a show of disinterest. It was how her entire life was. But he was right. She had approached him, not the other way around. Did she expect something from this? She was... curious? No... "You were here... so there had to be a reason..." She said. It was fate. She'd come back to this area still searching for Zephyr, when she ran into her earlier mistaken target instead. "It was... I am... Fayte..." She introduced herself. "If you... have no intention to fight me... then you were waiting for nothing..." She concluded. Perhaps in a sense he was like her, doing things without even realizing the 'why' behind it...
Fayte Scarlett
Fayte Scarlett
Shadow Heart C
Shadow Heart C

Back to top Go down

Post by Zahn Skye Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:17 am

As Fayte stared blankly Zahn continued to stretch. His little mental exercise was more exhausting than he'd initially believed it would be. Fayte seemed reassured and more ready to hear him out after, apparently, deciding Zahn was no longer a threat. At this Zahn smiled. The girl before him was an odd one, though he really wasn't in a position to judge. Fayte looked at Zahn throughout his rambling as if the Jinx mage had just declared to her that he was some kind of fish. However, his airy demeanor changed a little when she mentioned that not only Dark Mages attacked with the intention to kill. Sure, he was certain that she was a Dark Mage and that wasn't something a Dark Mage would go around announcing, but the roundabout way she was denying it irritated him a bit. Not because he was angry at her, but because it made him feel a little sad for her.

"I see... Dark Mages aren't the only ones who attack in order to kill. Yes, that's true... However, I don't think I mentioned anything about attacking me in order to kill. I guess I did say that you should listen before deciding to kill me...

Zahn paused and gathered his thoughts, turning his one visible eye directly toward Fayte and meeting her gaze.

"But what I meant was that Dark Mages are the only ones who seem so sad about ending fights so quickly. You attacked in a way that would've left me unable to fight back. Whatever your reason, you wanted the attack to both start and finish the encounter. Yet, I don't think I felt a trace of hostility from you, until the very moment you attacked. Which is impressive by itself, but why then do you seem so... dejected?"

Zahn crossed his arms, and pondered for a second before continuing.

"... as I said before, I think you and I are a lot alike. There are times when killing is necessary and even the right thing to do. I personally don't think anyone enjoys killing, except maybe the worst kinds of people, but I think only Dark Mages attack a person to make sure they can't fight back. After all, why would a Dark Mage want someone to be able to fight back. That would just take up more time. Time better spent working on furthering your own goals. Which is admirable, in a way."

Zahn let his eyes shift to down and to the side, as he once again rambled about his thoughts. The woman's questions had brought up some bad memories for him, though he wasn't just going to let her know that. He returned to speaking a moment later, hopefully covering his lapse in emotion well enough that she wouldn't comment on it.

"However... I don't think that makes a person strong. Being able to kill someone else? Letting yourself be taken in by an emotion that leads you to end someone's life? That's... a weakness. Instead of killing people, instead of forcing them to see my way as right... I wish I could make them understand me. After all, the strength that is required to NOT kill someone even if you have that power is far greater. That's why I think YOU are strong. You let me live. You... changed you mind about sticking around to fight me. I still haven't found a way to change my mind... If it was me attacking you, trying to bring you harm, I don't think I would have stopped...

The young Jinx mage's voice was strained. He was certainly not happy saying that out-loud and he was certainly not feeling very good about himself at the moment. The girl standing in front of him was a better person, in his eyes, even as a Dark Mage than he was a Guildless mage.

"Fights might not be won by letting people have their way... but what about friends? Can a person win a friend if they have to be right, or the victor, all the time?"

It was pretty clear that Zahn wasn't talking about Fayte any more. He was thinking about himself, and all the things he had been through. When the girl muttered that he had to be here for a reason, he smriked glumly. He didn't think that at all. Maybe he was here just for the sake of being here. She introduced herself, finally, as Fayte and made a small pun about the situation and her name.

"... maybe you are. However, I've never believed in fate. I value my freedom as something no one can take from me. If I have a fate it is to fight against fate. Whatever I do, no matter what that is, is my decision. I will not avoid taking responsibility for my actions, nor will I ever try to dodge blame for my failures. It is simple. I was waiting here for you. If you had not come back, I would have moved on eventually. If you think there has to be a reason behind me waiting here, I'd love to know it."

Zahn sighed for a second and shook his head.

"Sorry. I'm not trying to be rude, nor hurtful, nor am I insulting or disregarding your way of life or even you. I think you are very admirable to have come back. Consider this though. You say that there must be a reason for my waiting here, and I said my reason was only to see what you would do. I was waiting here for you, or at least for an answer to the question of what you would do. You say that if I don't intend to fight you then I waited here for nothing... but aren't you here?"

Zahn looked earnestly at the girl and let out his next sentence very slowly and deliberately.

"Fayte... do you believe you are nothing?"

Now he was really exhausted. He had been feeling fine initially, but the more he talked the more it took out of him. He folded his arms glumly and leaned up against the nearest alley wall, waiting for Fayte's response.
Zahn Skye
Zahn Skye
Lamia Scale C
Lamia Scale C

Back to top Go down

Post by Fayte Scarlett Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:15 am

The man before her was indeed a strange man. He was theorizing a lot about Fayte's emotions, which she did not even understand herself. How, then, could this man think that he knew her any better? Zahn seemed to think they were 'a lot alike', but Fayte had yet to see a single similarity between them. She had guessed earlier that he had no reason being here... which would have, perhaps, made them similar. But that didn't seem to be the case. Zahn asked some philosophical questions, and then about Fayte's own reason for being there.

"I'm... not sure I follow your logic..." She admitted. "You are asking many questions... and you seem to expect me to answer a certain way... But I don't believe life is so simple to be condensed into a few minutes of monologue..." She wasn't trying to be insulting... but neither was she watching her words. "Life... death... strength... friends... freedom... you are talking about many powerful concepts, but I'm not sure to what end..." She shrugged. "If you are trying to make me change my outlook on life, without even knowing what it is... it's hopeless. And there's even less reason to argue with your runaway logic. The only reason I am here... is because of pure coincidence. I thought perhaps there was another reason for your being here... but it seems I was wrong."

Her eyes narrowed slightly. There was one thing... that Zahn had said. The last part that stuck out. "I'm... useful. You know nothing about me... yet ask if I'm nothing?" Being there without a reason.. or being nothing... there was a huge difference. How had Zahn gotten to such a conclusion? He was no one... so his insult would normally mean little to her... yet he acted so sure, as if he knew everything about her. "You're right on one part: I let you live. No threat... you are nothing. Do not aspire to be more than that, or I will be forced to kill you..." It was rare indeed when Fayte could be provoked, but Zahn seemed to have stumbled upon the right buttons.
Fayte Scarlett
Fayte Scarlett
Shadow Heart C
Shadow Heart C

Back to top Go down

Post by Zahn Skye Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:50 am

((Making sure to note, this post is in the spirit of remaining in character. No ill will or anything, just trying to write what Zahn would say in this situation.))

Zahn listened to her response quietly, and mused to himself about her words. However, her tone changed when she responded to his last comment. It seemed he'd implied that she was nothing. At least, according to her that's what he'd implied. Which annoyed him a little.... no actually it just flat out pissed him off. His words were very carefully chosen. Sure, he didn't know much about her for sure and he was making a lot of assumptions, however that was how he'd lived his life. He was confident in his ability to read people and for the most part the people who denied his words the most where the ones who secretly believed his words the most and knew them to be true. Zahn was more than a little agitated as he responded, but was careful to temper his voice and not let his annoyance slip through.

"I... did not ask if you were nothing. I don't quite know what to make of your decision to believe and trust so much in fate, the concept not your name. I don't think you are nothing. You are surviving as a Dark Mage, that takes a lot of power. Especially with the Council as powerful as it is now. I have no doubt you are useful. If anything, you seem to be the one doubting not only me, but yourself as well."

Zahn took a breath to calm himself, but soon realized it hadn't worked. He hated misunderstandings, and he hated being misunderstood, especially when it led to arguments.

"I was making a play on words when I talked about fate and you being here, as your name is Fayte. You seem incredibly dejected, though you are right I don't know what your exact outlook on life is. I specifically asked if you thought something about yourself that I did not. You seem to think I was insulting you. Which I wasn't. I even mentioned how I hate misunderstandings. Granted, I suppose I like having to explain myself even LESS."

Oops. The anger slipped through into his voice that time. He took another deep breath and let out a sigh. He thought he could talk to this person, despite her status as a Dark Mage, but apparently he wasn't coming across the right way. Not that she was really doing any better.

"As for me being nothing... You're probably correct. I haven't exactly made any big impact on the world yet. As for killing me..."

Zahn brought his gaze to rest on Fayte's face and glared.

"Don't even bother. If I'm as worthless as you say I am it would be a waste of your time right?"

The Jinx mage was done playing nice. He'd been civil, and tried to make conversation. The more he talked, the less he felt like holding himself back. He was at a point where he was surprised he wasn't shaking with rage. He turned around and hit himself once in the face to let off some steam. He decided now was a good time to regroup.

"I've spent most of my life trying to understand why people hate me so much. I've studied people and practiced trying to control my own emotions. I'm fairly certain that I can get to a know a person pretty easily and I can usually tell what emotions people are experiencing. I'm not saying I'm psychic or that i am always right, but I don't think people are truly all that complicated. A person can think whatever they want, but usually thoughts like those only serve to hurt oneself. Before you go getting angry at me, why don't you think about whether or not I was trying to make you angry or if I just asked a simple question."

Zahn turned back to the girl and glared again. He was clearly having a hard time stopping his mouth anymore.

"After all, ending up at a conclusion you haven't verified leads people to make a mistake. Like attacking the wrong person."

The Jinx mage gritted his teeth. That was a cheap shot. He might apologize later if this didn't turn into a fight.

"... whatever."

Zahn shoved his hands into his pockets. Whatever the girl did at this point he didn't care. She was uncertain of herself, that much was clear, but her reaction to his last comment was not only unexpected but most unwelcome. He'd been very careful to ask her if she thought something. Not implying he thought it about her, but that she thought it about herself. Whatever it was that set her off about the question wasn't his problem, but it seemed like she was trying to pick a fight. He took a deep breath and let out another big sigh.

"I think being a humorless, fight-happy person will not make it easier to deal with the world and life. But that's just me I guess."

There was the zinger. If Fayte wanted to fight him, that was the perfect invitation to do so. If, like Zahn thought, she wasn't just a devout killer with no morals she might be confused and upset but probably not enough to attempt to hurt him. Even if she did though, she'd found out that fighting him only brought "bad luck".
Zahn Skye
Zahn Skye
Lamia Scale C
Lamia Scale C

Back to top Go down

Post by Fayte Scarlett Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:59 am

((Don't worry about those kind of things, respond however your character would =))

Fayte remained tense when the other continued to speak. However, her gaze drifted away. She tried to abate some of this... anger? She wasn't quite sure what she was feeling. Frustrated, perhaps, would be a better word. She recognized silently that this man hadn't been trying to insult her. And he was partially right: she had jumped to a rather strange conclusion based on what he said. He asked what she believed of herself. It made her wonder... how she had gotten to such a conclusion in the first place, let alone... this feeling she had. She had yet to completely think her anger was wrong, however. The way Zahn called her powerful... the way he spoke about her... it seemed like an admiration she didn't deserve. Most people hated and feared dark mages. For him to regard her highly... it made no sense. So she didn't trust him.

"Don't even bother. If I'm as worthless as you say I am it would be a waste of your time right?"

Fayte's blank gaze drifted back to him.

"I think being a humorless, fight-happy person will not make it easier to deal with the world and life. But that's just me I guess."

It was an invitation to fight. Saying that he didn't approve, but expected she might choose otherwise. Was he trying to goad her? To peace or for battle? This man made no sense. ...For all his talking, he had also never given his name. He seemed to be more interested in guessing about her than explaining about himself. "You're right," she decided, at least for one thing. "You're nothing. This is a waste of time." She turned, black hair flipping with her. Her back was exposed; vulnerable to an attack, if Zahn chose. But she doubted it. As she said, he was nothing, and wouldn't take such an opportunity. This had already been a waste of time. Harsh as her words were, she meant them. There didn't seem to be any point in talking to Zahn, not even for an emotionally interested level. Fayte wanted to learn more about people... but she wasn't interested in what people thought about her, or where her life was going. So she walked away casually, letting him go, deciding that this had simply been a coincidence... and that Zahn could not be an active player in fate.
Fayte Scarlett
Fayte Scarlett
Shadow Heart C
Shadow Heart C

Back to top Go down

Post by Zahn Skye Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:36 pm

((Sorry for taking so long. Life is tough to manage sometimes.))

Zahn bristled as the girl turned away, once again referring to him as unimportant. He was tired of being underestimated. He could tell she was strong, at least in combat. However, he wasn't the type to just let things go easily, especially when someone was making light of him. As Fayte continued to walk, Zahn ripped off his eye-patch and cast a spell on the wall nearest to Fayte, aiming it a several loose bricks behind the girl.

Jinxed Environment:

"Heads up, Ms. Smug!"

In an instant the bricks came flying loose, all aimed at the back of the girl's head. Whether or not she dodged the attack somehow, or avoided it in a different way Zahn was done playing around. He had tried to be civil to this odd Dark Mage, but it seemed like the two were going to be enemies.

That weird magic might be a problem if she decides to retaliate against me, but however strong she is I'm not going to let her just insult me and back down. Plus, being back here has a way of bringing out the worst in me. So, she doesn't understand my words? well, maybe letting my fists do the talking will be a better way to get through to her.

Zahn took a battle stance, scanning the narrow alley quickly. A closed space like this might work to his advantage, though since he didn't know exactly how powerful the girl was or what her magic could do that opposite could be all too true. Only time would tell.

"You don't seemed to understand much of anything, except maybe battle tactics. So, let's fight. Maybe you'll learn something."

The Jinx mage's glare wasn't meant to intimidating, but the fury that lay behind his eyes might just unnerve even the most hardened of warriors. Zahn wasn't used to someone like himself, wrapped up in their own little world and stubborn way of thinking, and didn't know how to react to someone even more anti-social than he was. So, a fight was the next best thing, right? At least Zahn might be able to work through some personal demons in the meantime.
Zahn Skye
Zahn Skye
Lamia Scale C
Lamia Scale C

Back to top Go down

Post by Fayte Scarlett Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:51 am

((NP~))

Actions spoke much louder than words. The sound of crumbling rubble caught Fayte's attention. She turned around halfway, looking up, but it would be impossible to dodge it completely at this rate. Magic took shape around her. Fayte continued her spin, forming a barrier of wind which pushed the debris away. She spun a full 360, or rather, 540 degrees, coming to stop and face Zahn. Her eyes narrowed slightly as she met his gaze. So he had been trying to goad her into a fight after all. It was a strange way of doing it, but he had attacked. That meant there was no going back... he had just directly challenged her.

Now that she was no longer trying to kill him in one swipe, nor fleeing, her form was more visible for Zahn. Blackened wings rested upon her back, her nails having twisted into sharp razors. She was a takeover mage, and her form was that of a harpy. She was still only in her partial takeover form, but there was something still undeniably primal about it.

“Few challenge me willingly,” she told him. Her voice was still quiet, but it certainly lacked the hazy, directionless way she had spoken earlier. The outcome to this was clear... they had to fight. “Being a humorless, fight-happy person is indeed a difficult path in life,” she repeated his own words. How quick he had been to abandon his own preaching. “If you do not follow your own advice, what could I possibly learn, except for how big a fool you truly are?” She walked ominiously towards him, the prelude to the fight... “The life of a guildless mage means that when you die, no one will miss you...”

Taking a deep breath, Fayte let out an ear-piercing shriek. The sound shook the air, disrupting the magical energy which flowed naturally within it. Gone were her attempts to remain hidden. She would take him out quickly...

155/200:
Fayte Scarlett
Fayte Scarlett
Shadow Heart C
Shadow Heart C

Back to top Go down

Post by Zahn Skye Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:41 am

She blocked his first attack with ease and though that hadn't been totally unexpected, Zahn looked impressed with the girl before him. He had to admit, she was obviously a good fighter. Still, her manner of speaking outside of battle... Then he noticed her feral attributes.

"Takeover magic... some form of bird? No, looks too demonic... A harpy then. A mythological bird creature. Interesting..."

Despite his compliment, Zahn wasn't worried. Fayte ignored the look he'd given her and honestly, Zahn was done being surprised by much of anything at this point in his life. Though he assumed that the form and the way she'd achieved it were supposed to be frightening, not 'surprising'.

"Can't win 'em all, though, I guess."

Then she spoke. She spoke of how few challenged her of their own volition and the tone of her voice exuded confidence. She no longer seemed unsure of what to do. Just like he was... She only came alive in the midst of battle. How sad... He caught her repeating his words and paused for a second completely stunned. Then he laughed aloud and smiled, a truly genuinely smile this time instead of one meant to placate and compromise.

"Ahaha... That's rich. So you can jump to conclusions without evidence as well. Granted, you've been doing that since we met, but I find it surprising when you imply I'm a hypocrite and fool. You keep underestimating me, and I'm going to pro-"

Fayte interrupted him by telling him that as a Guildless mage no one would miss him when he was gone. Zahn stopped talking instantly. Now she had gone and done it. He wasn't trying to hurt her. Heck, he'd even warned her about his own attack. After all, he assumed she could understand what it felt like to be underestimated and ignored when she prickled at the thought of being called useless. Obviously that wasn't the case. The woman took a deep breath and let out a shrill cry. Zahn's own magic activated instantly as he clearly stared right at her, a special kind of hate in his eyes now.

Jinxed Attack:

Her magic was ineffective as the sound waves harmlessly scattered to into the air. Zahn glared at her and his gaze darkened, the symbol is his eye glowing with power.

"I am going to END you."

There was no more life or fun in Zahn's voice anymore. Only pure, malicious bloodthirst. The kind of dark hunger for another person's pain. Just like he had done, Fayte accidently pushed the exact wrong button for Zahn. He didn't care about reconciling with this person anymore. He didn't even see her as a person right now. She was a target. A target he would destroy.

"You think I don't know what being Guildless means? You think that knowing no one cares about me would make me suffer? You think that being alone means I cannot know others? I enjoy a freedom you might never know. I take pride in being on no one's side but my own. I like the fact that I can try to see things from anyone's point of view, even a Dark mage's. But you? I just don't like you, and you're going to HURT for that comment."

Her flight form would make it hard to lock her down, and her magic was a superior match up against his. He couldn't affect anything that was living or part of something living. Her wings seemed to fire off spells, and he could deal with that, but he assumed she had a more complete Takeover form that he would not be able to dispel. He'd better end this fight fast. However, he was more of a defensive fighter. His best weapon was the element of surprise. So as he picked up a part of the debris she'd deflected he decided to let her think she had the upper hand right now. If he could catch her off-guard now, whatever advantage she took later might not be enough. Hopefully.

"Even if lose this battle, and my life, I'm going to make you regret this."

MP: 120/150
Zahn Skye
Zahn Skye
Lamia Scale C
Lamia Scale C

Back to top Go down

Post by Fayte Scarlett Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:51 am

Fayte's mouth closed, the sound ceasing. The direct hit had been avoided. She knew her aim had been spot on... He must have some kind of special skill. Earlier, he had somehow caused the building to crumble. Was he directing waves of energy somehow? That could explain how her attack missed, and how the building had crumbled against her. In that case, a direct contrast between strengths would likely be to her advantage, rather than relying on long-ranged magic or other indirect means of combat.

"Howl to the wind all you want, nameless stray..." She told him. It was fairly obvious that the two didn't get along at this point. She was tired of his preaching, and he did so love to preach. Apparently she had hit a special nerve with her guildless comment. His response was laughable, but as it was, she simply stared at him blankly. Despite his vocal reaction, he had remained stationary. So then, perhaps he was not as reckless as she thought. Was he acting more flustered than normal to try and draw her in? Or... maybe he just always talked like this, but it did not affect his combat skills.

With her last magic attack canceled, the last thing she wanted to do was waste more of her power. So instead she went in for a more direct attack. She dashed forward, quickly closing the gap between them. Even without her full takeover form or the speed buff, she was still faster than most humans. Raising a sharp claw-like hand, she swung against him, seeing how he planned to handle a more direct assault... She desired less talking and more action.
Fayte Scarlett
Fayte Scarlett
Shadow Heart C
Shadow Heart C

Back to top Go down

Post by Zahn Skye Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:57 am

((... I could be so mean here... but I'm not going to.))

"Nameless stray..."

Zahn pondered that statement for a moment, allowing himself to be distracted from the task at hand. He didn't like fighting. He might be very good at it, but he didn't like it. On the other hand, he felt like he truly came alive in battle. He assumed it was the same for Fayte, who was showing more personality now than before. The Jinx mage could almost see the wheels in her head turning as she tried to comprehend what his stillness meant. However, that didn't last long. In a flash, the girl shot toward Zahn moving with a speed he could not hope to match.

So I won't. She's not going to walk away from this if I can help it!

As Fayte neared Zahn he just smirked.

I knew she was fast but... damn... there is no way I'm winning this fight without cheating a bit.

The girl impaled him with her sharpened claws and Zahn turned into the attack with his shoulder to let it penetrate slightly deeper than normal, and using his weapon-less hand to grab onto Fayte's arm. Wherever she dragged him he wasn't going to just let her go and with the swiftness of his grabbing motion there was very little chance she'd be able to pull her claw out in time. Raising the hand that held the brick in it he went to smack Fayte in the face with it... and stopped.

... do it! DO IT! GODDAMMIT, STRIKE HER!

Zahn was a quaking mass of hatred at the moment, his hand poised to strike the girl with the makeshift weapon he'd created for himself. He growled, the dark look in his eyes still there. As much as he wanted to hurt this person he still retained some of his innate kindness. He'd sparred with someone not to long ago, just for the sake of having fun while fighting. He usually kept to himself and tried never to show off.

... what the hell am I doing?!

Zahn gritted his teeth and pulled Fayte's claw out of his shoulder and stepped back from the girl.

"... this is so wrong. I.."

Zahn dropped the brick and turned away from Fayte, his anger still not abetted.

"... you aren't worth my time. If you're going to act like that with everyone, you really aren't worth anyone's time. I guess you're right. You win. It was a waste of time just sticking around here. It was a waste of time trying to fight you. My name is Zahn. Zahn Skye. You'd better remember it, Fayte, because the next time we meet I might feel like fighting you."

Blood was dripping from Zahn's shoulder wound. He glanced at it and tried not to grimace as he took the hand opposite the shoulder and put pressure on the wound, which wasn't deep enough to impair him significantly.

"I really do despise people who wallow in self-pity. Bunch of weaklings. You're pretty well-suited to being a Dark Mage. A spoiled brat who thinks too highly of their own power, but is deep down just useless."

Zahn walked off. This was a fantastically bad day. Being back in Era always brought out the worst in him, and this visit brought him face-to-face with a new enemy. One he would not soon forget. He slowly trotted over to his eye-patch and picked it up, refastening it as he punched the alley wall hard enough to crack the bricks leaving his hand slightly bloodied. He didn't much care how Fayte reacted at this point. Sure, he might be pretty odd himself, but Fayte was just irritating. Unless the girl attacked him again at this point, he wanted nothing more to do with her for now.
Zahn Skye
Zahn Skye
Lamia Scale C
Lamia Scale C

Back to top Go down

Post by Fayte Scarlett Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:26 pm

Fayte felt her claws connect with his flesh. He had twisted and avoided a mortal wound, but the blow was still going to be a heavy one. This was easy... far too easy. Fayte stiffened instantly the moment Zahn's hand grabbed her arm. And in his other hand was a brick – preparing for an attack. She started to move back but he held her firmly in place, and she was too surprised to struggle fiercely enough to escape. They were going to trade blows. Why had he decided on such a tactic so early on? From his earlier talking and attack, he seemed like he was confident. Trading blows was usually a desperate measure, one used when raw strength failed to prove an advantage. She braced herself for the inevitable hit...

...but nothing ever came. Her gaze locked onto Zahn, the other man quivering. The two stared silently for a moment, before Zahn launched into talking. Maybe it was supposed to be an explanation, but Fayte didn't understand it. Her opponent was already giving up. They had never even truly started. Every time Fayte thought she understood an angle of this man, he seemed to prove her wrong.

She pulled back, the blood still dripping on her hand, not bothering to continue her assault. “...Then, I accept your surrender,” she said, translating his meaning between his insults. There was no reason for her to go out of her way to kill him, although if it had happened during their fight, it wouldn't tarnish her conscience.

Zahn had called her useless, this time much more pointedly, and somehow knowing someone was trying to get to her was easier than someone who was accidentally. “Live on for now, cowardly stray.” She too, turned, and began walking away. This was not someone she intended to meet again...

~exit~
Fayte Scarlett
Fayte Scarlett
Shadow Heart C
Shadow Heart C

Back to top Go down

Post by Zahn Skye Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:05 am

"... tch."

Zahn clicked his tongue as his opponent turned away and walked off. It was clear to him now that Fayte was not a person he was going to get along with at any point.

That makes sense I suppose. I never did like the concept of fate. I am my own person, and I decide what happens in my own life. Nobody has ever convinced me otherwise and I'm willing to bet nobody ever will. It is time I moved on. Coming back here was a mistake. I might be glad I did somewhere down the line. but for now I'm totally done with all the negativity I've cultivated here in Era.

Zahn sighed and continued walking, making his way out of the large city. As he played back long passed and even recently passed events in his mind he wondered if he'd ever meet a person he didn't feel awkward around. He knew now that he tended to talk a lot around people he thought he could figure out.

Though, if anything, Fayte was right about me assuming a lot about other people I think are like me. Even though it seemed like I was correct about a good deal of my assumptions, it seemed that it only served to make Fayte more hostile toward me. Heh...

Zahn smirked to himself. Eventually, he'd get her back. Buying a new cloak was at the forefront of his mind right now, though the fact that there wasn't usually tons of work waiting to be snatched up by Guildless mages put a little bit of negative spin on the fact that he lost one of his possessions. He sighed again as he pondered where to head next.

"... and now she's seen me fight. Her Takeover magic... what a terrible match up. IIf we'd fought I'm pretty sure I could've scored some good hits. However the amount of power she was giving off... I'm probably lucky it ended when it did."

The young Jinx mage winced as he rubbed the wound she'd given him. It would take a little while to heal and he wasn't looking forward to more wounds like it if he met Fayte again.

"... I'll have to get stronger in preparation for that day..."

And with that, Zahn's little journey back to his roots was over, for now.
Zahn Skye
Zahn Skye
Lamia Scale C
Lamia Scale C

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content